People have just barely recovered from the horror of the spontaneously combusting Galaxy Note 7s from Samsung. However, we may now have yet another exploding electronic on our hands. According to some local news reports, a man who is from Tampa, Florida realised that his Apple AirPods started smoking in his ear. He was wearing the AirPods when the incident happened.
“It’s the craziest thing I ever went through,” said Jason Colon to his local NBC news station. The owner of the AirPods says that he was listening to a dance mix while he was at a gym that is located in St. Petersburg when he realised that there was already “white smoke … billowing out” of his AirPods. He said that he immediately removed them from his ears and left to ask for some help. By the time he has returned to his equipment, he claims that the right earbud of the AirPod was already damaged beyond repair.
Colon stated: “It was already like this. It was already popped. I didn’t see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried! You can see flame damage.”
The possible culprit that is at fault is the lithium-ion batteries that are contained in many of the electronics of today. After all, they are to blame in the now infamous debacle of Galaxy Note 7 and were also the cause why so many hoverboards were catching on fire a few years ago. And now, it seems like AirPods might have some of these issues too.
To be fair, reports of AirPods that are malfunctioning are not nearly widespread enough to warrant any kind of panic. But of course, the man will likely be thinking twice before he uses another headset. Colon added: “I don’t know what would’ve happened to my ear. But I’m sure since it hangs down, it could’ve been [my] ear lobe. Ear lobe could’ve been burnt.”
Colon appears to believe that the battery was at fault for the incident, and said to local news affiliates that others must also be warned. He stated: “Just because it happens to me doesn’t mean it won’t happen again.”
A spokesperson for Apple said that the company is already investigating what may have gone wrong and that they will be reaching out to Colon for more information regarding the matter.