AT&T Loses Its Bid for White House Communications Regarding Its Deal With Time Warner

Photo by Mike Mozart/Flickr

On Tuesday, a federal judge denied a request that was made by AT&T Inc to compel the Justice Department of the United States to disclose any records of communications between the White House and the lawyers of the government that detail the views of Donald Trump, the President of the United States of America, on the proposed $85 billion merger of the company with Time Warner Inc.

Last Friday, the Justice Department moved to prevent AT&T from asserting that politics played a role in the decision of the government to stop the said merger, which President Trump has criticised publicly.

Share prices for Time Warner and AT&T were steady on the said news, both slightly down for the day.

The lead trial attorney for both Time Warner and AT&T, Dan Petrocelli, stated: “We respect the judge’s decision and look forward to the upcoming trial.”

Last November, the Justice Department filed a lawsuit that is aimed at stopping AT&T, which owns DirecTV, from acquiring Time Warner, a TV show and movie maker, arguing that the deal would mean higher prices for rival online video and cable distributors and for the consumers.

Last week, AT&T indicated that it planned to argue that they were singled out for the enforcement, citing the statements by Donald Trump, as a candidate and as the US president, that the said deal was bad for consumers, as evidence. President Trump has also regularly expressed his irritation with the CNN of Time Warner due to its coverage of his election campaign and administration.

The Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment regarding the matter.