Australian Man Dead After Trying to Protect His Dog From a Venomous Snake


An Australian man has been declared dead after being bitten by a snake while attempting to protect his dog.

The 24-year-old man, who is yet to be identified, was attacked as he attempted to remove the snake from the mouth of his pet dog at his home in Tamworth, north-west of Sydney.

According to the police, the man was rushed to the hospital where an antivenom was administered. However, he died within an hour of his arrival at the hospital.

Sergeant Josh McKenzie informed ABC News: “He went to investigate his small dog barking and found the dog to have a small brown snake in his mouth.

“He’s then gone to try and separate the dog from the snake and was bitten on the finger.”

Brown snakes are the considered as the second most venomous terrestrial snakes in the world, and it is among the most deadly creatures in Australia. They are said to be characteristically aggressive and are highly adaptive. Brown snakes are usually found in farms and urban areas where their usual prey are mice.

Every year, as many as 300 people are bitten by snakes in Australia. However, there are only a few associated deaths. 18 people have reportedly died from snake bites in the country since 2011.

The Australian Reptile Park in Sydney’s Dan Rumsey said that snakes only tend to bite when they are threatened, and it was important to stay calm and seek for medical treatment in order to avoid the spread of the venom.

He informed reporters: “Venom travels through your lymphatic system.

“You need to put pressure on the wound and the limb that has been bitten. Most people are bitten on the hands or ankles.

“As ridiculous as it sounds, you need to stay calm. That will slow down the circulation, getting to hospital as quick as you possibly can.”