Would-be Car Attacker Attempts to Hit Crowds at a Bus Stop in Berlin – But Misses Everyone

    On Saturday, the police said that an unknown man drove a car into a crowd of people that were waiting for a bus in Berlin but did not injure anybody.

    Valeska Jakubowski, the police spokesperson, said that the man drove away after the incident that occurred last Friday night and authorities are currently looking for him.

    She said that the car, a Mercedes, had been rented by a Moroccan man who is said to be 35 years old and that they had searched the man’s Berlin apartment overnight and secured some evidence. She could not confirm whether the man who rented the car had been the driver and did not reveal the identity of the man in line with German privacy rules.

    On Friday Night, the man drove into the crowd in the Reinickendorf neighbourhood of the German capital shortly after 8 in the evening. However, people were able to jump aside, and no one was hit.

    In a statement, Berlin police said that the driver initially bumped into a bus and a parked motorcycle prior to driving at high speed on the sidewalk and into the crowd of least seven people.

    The driver then made a U-turn, drove onto the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street and immediately drove away. Witnesses memorized the license plate of the car. Police also remarked that another car had made a U-turn shortly before and the driver of the Mercedes could have been attempting to avoid a crash by steering onto the sidewalk.

    Spokesperson Jakubowski said that the police were still investigating on the matter.