Death of an 11-Month-Old Boy is the First to Be ‘Associated With Cannabis’ in the United States, Report Says


The death of a baby boy has prompted a debate among doctors after it was claimed that the boy died due to marijuana overdose.

In 2015, the 11-month-old died from heart failure After suffering from a seizure in Colorado hospital.

Doctors consequently produced a report linking the boy’s death to marijuana.

“We just wanted to make sure that we’re not going to call this a marijuana-related fatality if there was something else that we could point at,” said Dr Christopher Hoyte of Colorado’s Rocky Mountain Poison & Drug Center to the KUSA news channel. “And we looked and couldn’t find it.”

Hoyte was on duty as a poison control officer when he treated the child and discovered that his urine and blood tested positive for marijuana.

He stated: “Just one thing led to another and the kid ended up with a heart stopped. And the kid stopped breathing and died.”

“As of this writing, this is the first reported paediatric death associated with cannabis,” the report said.

However, the co-author of the report, Dr Thomas Nappe, informed The Washington Post that “we are absolutely not saying that marijuana killed that child.”

Nappe argued that the word “associated” should not be interpreted as registering a cause and effect.

Officially, the boy died from myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart that is worse in newborns and young infants. Most cases are caused by a virus reaching the heart muscle. However, doctors ruled out viral infection as the cause.