Dialog Semiconductor: Apple Supply Deal in Place Until At Least 2020

Photo by William Hook/Flickr

Last Saturday, the boss of Dialog Semiconductor, the chip maker, tried to ease investor concerns, saying that Apple will keep using the products of the company to at least 2020.

Jalal Bagherli, the chief executive of the company, informed Euro am Sonntag, a German newspaper, that Apple has already ordered chips for 2019 and 2020.

The tech titan is the biggest customer of the UK-based manufacturer. However, the shares of Dialog have declined over the last year, losing half of its value, as investors grew fears that Apple would eventually create its own chips.

The shares of the firm plunged by a third in morning trading during a day last December, after Bankhaus Lampe, a German private bank, said that Apple could move business away from the company.

The decline in the value of the company has opened it up as a likely target for a hostile takeover.

However, Bagherli said that it would be counter-productive to produce a pre-emptive defence that is against such a move.

He stated: “A defence, including an anchor shareholder or poison pills to scare off bidders, are not in the interest of a stock-listed company.”

Approximately half of the revenue of Dialog is derived from the supplier deals of the company with Apple. In the firm’s most recent results, Dialog reported yet another analyst-beating record quarter.