If ever users find themselves in a dangerous or a life-threatening situation, it is essential to call the emergency services rapidly.
Thanks to a little-known feature on the iOS 11, users of the iPhone now have a shortcut to doing so.
It is called Emergency SOS, and it means that the phone of the user can automatically call 999 – or whatever the emergency number in their area may be.
“When you make a call with SOS, your iPhone automatically calls the local emergency number,” explains Apple, adding that in a number of countries, users might then be required to choose which specific service they require.
The said function also allows the emergency contacts of the users to be notified automatically.
“After an emergency call ends, your iPhone alerts your emergency contacts with a text message, unless you choose to cancel,” says Apple. The emergency contacts of the users will be sent with their current location as well as updates for a period of time if their location changes.
If the users have their location services switched off, they will be turned on temporarily.
Here are the steps on how to use the Emergency SOS feature on the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, or the iPhone X:
- Press and hold the side button of the iPhone and one of the volume buttons until the Emergency SOS slider appears.
- Drag the Emergency SOS slider in order to call emergency services. If the user continues to hold down the Volume button and the side button, instead of dragging the slider, a countdown starts, and an alert sounds. If the user hold down the buttons until the countdown ends, their iPhone automatically calls emergency services.
How to use the Emergency SOS feature on an iPhone 7 or earlier:
- Quickly press the side button five times. The Emergency SOS slider will then appear. (In India, users only need to press the said button three times, then the iPhone calls emergency services automatically.)
- Drag the Emergency SOS slider in order to call emergency services.
To make sure that the emergency contacts of the user are alerted, they need to have them already set up on their phone.
Here are the steps on how to set up emergency contacts:
- Open the Health app and tap the Medical ID tab.
- Tap Edit, then scroll to Emergency Contacts.
- Tap green plus icon to add an emergency contact.
- Tap a contact, then add their relationship.
- Tap Done to save your changes.
It is considered as a handy tool that could help keep users safe if ever they run into trouble.