A lawsuit was already filed by Tesla against Martin Tripp. Tripp is the former Tesla employee who was accused of orchestrating a hack and subsequent data leak on the operating systems of the company last week.
In an email that was sent to the employees of Tesla last Sunday night, Elon Musk accused the former employee of “extensive and damaging sabotage.” The email was followed by another email that discussed a small fire on the production line for the Model 3 sedan of Tesla.
The lawsuit was filed today in the US state of Nevada where the main factories of Tesla for the Model 3 are currently housed. The lawyers of the company said that the actions of Tripp were “willful and malicious.” They also said that the actions were “done with the deliberate intention to injure Tesla’s business”.
The name of Tripp was not revealed to the public at the time. However, in his email, Musk said that the former employee had already admitted to the allegations that were levelled against him.
The lawsuit also states that Tripp made misleading statements to the press about the production delays for the Model 3. The production of the sedans is currently under pressure as employees hasten up to meet the goal of producing 5,000 cars per week by the end of the month that was established by Musk.
In a statement, Tesla disclosed: “Although Tesla’s investigation is ongoing, it has already suffered significant and continuing damages as a result of Tripp’s misconduct, which it seeks to recover through this action.”
Reports say that the electric vehicle manufacturer is asking for $1bn (£757m) in damages, among some other forms of relief.
The share price of Tesla has slightly increased by 0.82 percent amidst the news. The rise in share price comes after dropping by up to 5.35 percent during the trading yesterday after the announcement of the sabotage attempt in the press.