The reports that the government is set to hint that families do not book their holidays after 29th of March amid the preparations for a no-deal Brexit were denied by Downing Street.
The Sunday Times reported that the UK government was supposed to talk about the contingency plans at the cancelled cabinet meeting last week after Prime Minister May received a vote of no confidence in her leadership. She went on to win the votes later.
A cabinet minister is said to have examined the proposals with some senior officials and the effect that the advice could have on specific tour operators. The newspaper quoted a source as stating that the government was mulling covering losses to holiday firms.
However, a spokesperson for No.10 said that the reports were “categorically untrue.”
A number of airline chiefs have already expressed their concerns regarding a no-deal Brexit.
Last September, Michael O’Leary, the chief executive of Ryanair, ramped up the warnings regarding a no-deal Brexit. He said that planes could be grounded for a maximum of three weeks if the United Kingdom leaves the bloc without a deal.
Last September, the UK government warned that a no-deal Brexit could produce disruption to air travel between the United Kingdom and the countries in the European Union, while insisting that a no-deal scenario continued to be “unlikely.”
At the time, the government stated: “If the UK leaves the EU in March 2019 with no agreement in place, UK and EU licensed airlines would lose the automatic right to operate air services between the UK and the EU without seeking advance permission.”
Last Friday, the European Commission said that while the travellers in the United Kingdom will not be required to present a visa after Brexit, they will have to pay a maximum of €7 (£6.30) every three years in order to travel to the countries in the European Union.