The foreign minister of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has said that the global backlash regarding the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, a journalist, has become “hysteria.” He also said that the ties of Saudi with the United States are still “ironclad.”
On Saturday, Adel al-Jubeir said that those who are behind the murder of the columnist of the Washington Post would be prosecuted, however, he said that the investigation regarding the crime would take time.
During a speech at a security conference in Bahrain, he described the international outcry regarding the columnist’s death as “hysteria in the media.”
Meanwhile, Jim Mattis, the defence secretary of the United States of America, said that the killing “undermined” Middle Eastern stability and Washington had lost its respect for the people of Saudi Arabia.
At the same conference, Mattis stated: “With our collective interests in peace and unwavering respect for human rights in mind, the murder of Jamal Khashoggi in a diplomatic facility must concern us all greatly.”
He continued: “Failure of any one nation to adhere to international norms and the rule of law undermines regional stability at a time when it is needed most.”
He also said that the United States would be taking additional measures against those responsible who are responsible for the crime.
Khashoggi is a resident of the United States and a prominent critic of the government of Saudi Arabia and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, its de facto ruler. He was killed in the consulate of Saudi in Istanbul earlier this month.
Initially, the officials of Saudi denied any involvement in the case, however, Riyadh has since admitted that he was killed in a botch operation.
Earlier this week, the government of Saudi Arabia disclosed that 18 people had already been arrested and five senior officials were sacked as part of the probe regarding the matter.
The public prosecutor of the kingdom also said that the murder was premeditated as it continued the investigation.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the President of Turkey, also ramped up its pressure on the kingdom to come clean over the incident.
Erdogan called on Saudi Arabia to reveal who order the killing which was carried out by a 15-strong hitman squad. He also urged the kingdom to disclose the location of the body of Khashoggi.