Last Saturday, one of the senior members of the royal family of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia dismissed the findings of the CIA that Mohammed bin Salman, the Crown Prince of Saudi, ordered the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, the American journalist, in Istanbul last month.
Prince Turki al Faisal said that the US agency could not be trusted to arrive at the correct conclusion regarding the matter, after it was reported that the CIA believes that the Crown Prince was directly responsible for the murder of Khashoggi that was revealed last month.
According to a report that was released by Reuters, Prince Turki al Faisal said on Saturday: “The CIA is not necessarily the highest standard of veracity or accuracy in assessing situations. The examples of that are multitude.”
The prince is a former intelligence chief of Saudi Arabia. He has also served as ambassador to the US. He said the conclusion of the agency that Iraq possessed chemical weapons before the US invasion in 2003 proved that it could be unreliable.
Last Wednesday, Donald Trump, the President of the United States of America, said that the US would continue to be a “steadfast partner” of Saudi Arabia, regardless of whether its leader had been aware of the said assassination scheme.
He stated: “We may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder of Mr Jamal Khashoggi.”
He added: “In any case, our relationship is with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They have been a great ally in our very important fight against Iran.”
The US President added that Saudi Arabia had been “very responsive” to his “requests to keeping oil prices at reasonable levels.”
Khashoggi is a resident of the United States and a journalist of the Washington Post. He disappeared after entering the consulate of Saudi Arabia in Turkey on the 2nd of October. Subsequent reports suggested that he was strangled the moment that he entered the building and his body was eventually dismembered and removed.