Second man arrested over London attack

    A second man had been arrested over the bombing of a London commuter train on Friday that left 30 people injured. On Sunday, with soldiers helping provide security, Britain remained at its highest level of alert.

    In a statement, the London police said that the  21-year-old man was detained under the terrorism laws of Britain in the west London suburb of Hounslow just before midnight on Saturday.

    Earlier on Saturday, in what they called a “significant” step, police arrested an 18-year-old man in the departure lounge of Dover port. They then raided a property in Sunbury, a town near London, about four miles (six km) from Hounslow.

    During the Friday morning rush hour, the home-made bomb shot flames through a packed train carriage in west London at the Parsons Green Tube Station. The said bomb apparently failed to detonate fully.

    On Sunday, in connection with the Hounslow arrest, the police stated that they were scrutinizing a residential property in Stanwell, Surrey, close to the perimeter of the Heathrow Airport in London.

    The police also stated that there were no safety risks to local residents even though there is still a continuous search in the property in Sunbury, also in the county of Surrey next to the capital.

    It was reported by the local media that the Sunbury home is ownd by a couple who have fostered hundreds of children, including refugees. The BBC said that the 71-year old Penelope Jones and his husband,  88-year old Ronald Jones, had been honoured by Queen Elizabeth for their work with children.

    ISLAMIC STATE CLAIM

    The Islamic State claimed responsibility, as it has for other attacks that happened in Britain this year, which includes two in London and one at a concert by Ariana Grande, an American singer, in Manchester in May.

    On Sunday, Amber Rudd, the interior minister, said the that the second arrest indicated that it was not a “lone-wolf” attack, however, there was no evidence regarding the involvement of the Islamic State.

    “It is inevitable that so-called Islamic State, or Daesh, will reach in and try to claim responsibility. We have no evidence to suggest that yet,” Rudd told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show.

    “But as this unfolds, and as the police do their investigations, we will make sure that we find out exactly how he was radicalised, if we can.”

    As passengers were travelling towards the center of the British capital, the bomb struck. Some passengers suffered burns while others were hurt in a stampede to escape. According to health officials, none was thought to be in a serious condition.

    On Friday, Theresa May, the prime minister, put Britain on its highest security level of “critical” late, implying that another attack might be imminent. Armed police and soldiers were deployed to strategic locations including nuclear power plants.

    Armed police patrolled the streets near government departments in Westminster and guarded Premier League soccer grounds hosting matches on Saturday.

    Britain was last put on “critical” alert was after a suicide bomber killed 22 people at the Ariana Grande concert.

    The threat level on that occasion remained at critical for four days while police established whether the bomber had worked alone or with others. It had not been triggered since 2007.