The on again-off again summit that is set to be held between North Korea and the United States of America, which had been cancelled by Donald Trump, the US President, could be back on the cards after the state media of North Korea said that it was the “fixed will” of their leader that the meeting will happen.
The announcement follows a surprise meeting that was held yesterday between Moon Jae-in, the South Korean President, and Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader. The meeting is the first inter-Korean summit to happen in 11 years.
Last week, Trump had called off the said meeting noting “hostility” on the part of North Korea. He posted some tweets on Twitter to dismiss the claims that the summit would now be impossible to organise by the 12th of June, the originally scheduled date of the said meeting.
Trump said in a tweet: “The Failing @nytimes quotes “a senior White House official,” who doesn’t exist, as saying “even if the meeting were reinstated, holding it on June 12 would be impossible, given the lack of time and the amount of planning needed.” WRONG AGAIN! Use real people, not phony sources.”
He added: “There is ZERO disagreement within the Trump Administration as to how to deal with North Korea.”
South Korean President Moon Jae-in said that he, together with the North Korean Leader had “agreed that the 12 June summit should be held successfully” and that Kim Jong Un had “again made clear his commitment to a complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula.”
However, the South Korean President added: “What Kim is unclear about is that he has concerns about whether his country can surely trust the United States over its promise to end hostile relations.”
Late on Saturday, Trump said at the White House: “It’s moving along very nicely. We’re looking at June 12 in Singapore. That hasn’t changed.”
This weekend, some officials are still scheduled to leave the White House to start the preparations for the summit that is set to be held in Singapore.