Tens of thousands of people have withdrawn their Tesla Model 3 orders

Advertisment

About 63,000 people have withdrawn their Tesla Model 3 orders in the previous year, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said throughout the electric-car company’s periodically earnings call on Wednesday.

The overall purchases for the entry-level electric luxury sedan dropped from about 518,000 to 455,000, Musk said, but he recommended the cancellations were merely a drop in the bucket because the company had averaged about 1,800 new Model 3 bookings per day since Friday when the first 30 cars were handed over to Tesla employees.

Customer distributions will start this fall. Musk took the reversals in stride, saying Tesla could drive up the Model 3’s booking line with limited effort, but he said, at this point, it wouldn’t assist the company or its growing legion of possible clients.

“It’s like if you’re an eater and you’re serving hamburgers, and there’s like an hour-and-a-half wait for hamburgers — do you want to support more people to order more burgers,” Musk said. Individuals who put down security for a Model 3 at this time likely won’t recognize their cars until the end of 2018, according to most assessments.

Tesla intends to manufacture 20,000 Model 3 cars per month by December, and a journey Musk bluntly defined as “production hell” during the handover ceremony at the Tesla factory in Fremont, California, last week.

 

6 COMMENTS

Comments are closed.